Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From the murky depths emerges...

From the murky depths of my painting desk emerges ... band of Salamen! 


Well, er, at least part of a band!Here is the start of my 15mm Salamander men from Khurasan.  These minis have a lot of character, and were really fun to paint. I've got another 9 almost done, so hopefully this weekend I will be ready to play a couple skirmish games.  We tried Song of Blades and Heroes last time, I am not sure if we will stick with that or try something different. It is very much a push-your-luck mechanic, which my brother really liked. For these guys one thing I've thought about is that instead of giving them tail-slap or similar abilities, it might make a fun game where if they end their turn in water, you replace the model with a pair of counters/blips, one representing the actual model and the other a dummy.  They would be revealed only when the model moves out of the water... has anyone tried this sort of mechanic before? It would give a very different feel to the way they play and the strategy could be totally different than a normal skirmish.  I see these guys coming out of the water, sniping their opponents, and then slipping back under the water's murky surface.

Which brings me to another project that I've been working on that is almost done: another 2x2 skirmish board.  This one will again be modular, but will represent a landscape with a river running through it.  The linear water feature might make it challenging to guess where those salamanders are swimming!

Here is the start, again they will be a type of cork tile glued to a 12x12 commercial vinyl tile.  The commercial tiles are 1/8 of an inch thick and way more rigid than a normal tile.  Armstrong is the brand I've been using, they are $0.60 each at the hardware store.

No comments:

Post a Comment